The Indian cricket board is set to launch an investigation into the allegations made by ace wicketkeeper Wriddhiman Saha that he was threatened by a journalist for not entertaining a request for an interview. While India won a T20 series against West Indies by an emphatic 3-0 margin at Eden Gardens, a series of rude messages from a journalist to a cricketer became subject to much debate. Saha, on Saturday, shared the following screenshot:
After all of my contributions to Indian cricket..this is what I face from a so called “Respected” journalist! This is where the journalism has gone. pic.twitter.com/woVyq1sOZX
— Wriddhiman Saha (@Wriddhipops) February 19, 2022
The issue has drawn widespread attention with several cricketers slamming the scribe for violating the ethics of journalism. Former India head coach Ravi Shastri even urged the BCCI president to step into the matter. According to a report in the Times of India, the board has taken the whole episode into cognizance and decided to also find out if any other cricketer has gone through a similar experience. If an investigation is launched, the BCCI wants to get down to the surface of the matter and grab those unethical individuals by the scruff of the neck who may have established a nexus that could be troubling multiple Indian players, especially youngsters, not just a stalwart like Saha.
The incident happened hours after the India squad for the Sri Lanka series was named on Saturday evening, with Saha failing to make the cut. In interviews with various publications, Saha said that head coach Rahul Dravid had indicated that the Indian think tank was leaning towards grooming a younger keeper as a backup for Rishabh Pant. On Sunday evening, after India won the T20 series against West Indies here in Kolkata, Dravid explained that his decision to speak with Saha was out of respect for the player.
The current Indian head coach was asked if Wriddhiman Saha spilling the private conversation with regards to his future in the whites has hurt him. Dravid, on his part, graciously and quite maturely spoke about Saha’s achievements for India and emphasized that despite the turn of events, he wasn’t hurt by the comments made by India’s second-choice wicketkeeper. Stressing upon the need for tough conversations, Dravid said it is high time India groom a young deputy for Rishabh Pant, now a certain starter in both home and away conditions.
Saha last represented India in the Kanpur Test against New Zealand, when Pant had been afforded rest. He has pulled out of the Ranji Trophy this season as he wanted to spend time with his family. Saha will turn out for Gujarat Titans in the upcoming IPL, and said that he will try his level best to deliver the goods for the new franchise.